Fall is here. Time to get your HVAC and duct system ready for the season. The lungs of your home have been working overtime through the heat of the summer and need some loving, targeted care. Here are some easy steps to increase the efficiency of your HVAC and duct system:
- When the system is off, clean off the outside of your condenser (that big box that sits outside your home). Use water sparingly, perhaps a leaf blower, and some hand cleaning of stuck debris.
- Open the windows and screen doors in several rooms to create a cross current of outside air. Do not worry about the pollens in the air, if they are outside, they are most likely to be inside your home already. If you are sensitive to these, perhaps you should have Mr. Duct Cleaner install an Aerus Air Scrubber.
- Make sure that your returns are not blocked (the big rectangle vents that do not have a toggle switch for the metal fins) by furniture or decorations. These suck in the air to be heated and cooled. If they cannot bring in new air, they simply recirculate the air in the ducts. Like when you cover your mouth and nose.
- Change your filters. How often you do this depends upon the amount of activity in your home, the number of people and animals entering and exiting, and the sensitivity of the inhabitants of your home to contaminants.
- Clean your entire system. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, 25 to 40 percent of the energy used for heating or cooling a home is wasted. Contaminants in the heating and cooling system cause it to work harder and shorten the life of your system. NADCA recommends HVAC system cleaning in addition to duct cleaning. Mr. Duct Cleaner can clean most systems in 3-4 hours, and once cleaned they will operate much more efficiently. If you have more than one system, we can clean one while the other remains operational.
Mr. Duct Cleaner follows NADCA (National Air Duct Cleaners Association) to professionally clean all the ducts as well as clean the blower fan, the box around your unit (plenum), the coil, and the drain pan. Our equipment is specifically designed for this task.
Contact us to set up your FREE in-home estimate.