Worried About Pipes Freezing?
Are you worried your pipes may be frozen? Not sure how to tell or what to do next?
If water is not coming out of the faucet, there is a good chance your pipes may be frozen. Mr. Duct Cleaner’s trusted restoration and plumbing vendors tell us there are a few steps you can take to prevent damage over the next few days.
- Shut off the water to your home immediately.
Do not attempt to thaw pipes without turning off the main shut-off valve. This way, if you do have a pipe burst, the damage will be limited since there will not be water to feed the leak.
- Keep your faucet open. Water and steam will be created during the thawing process, and your pipes need an opening to discharge this. Keeping the faucet open also allows for moving water to run through the pipe, which will expedite the thawing process. The pressure from unfrozen water between the ice and closed faucet is the main cause of ruptures in frozen pipes. (This is also why having the main water shut off is a good idea.)
- There are conflicting reports if trying to thaw out your pipes is a good idea. You may hear about people using blow dryers or heating pads to thaw out frozen pipes. To prevent damage to the pipes we do NOT recommend you try to thaw out your own pipes.
- Your pipes are more likely to come out of this unbroken or cracked if you let them thaw out on their own when the weather warms up.
- Know what not to do. Never use a blowtorch, propane or kerosene heaters, a charcoal stove, or any other open flame device to thaw your frozen pipes. That presents a severe fire hazard. You should also avoid using a space heater unless you are sure the area is clear of any flammable material. Again, never leave the space heater unattended.
- If you have any visible signs of damage to pipes, call a plumber. You should also call if you see water ponding outside or even from the ceiling or walls.
- Call your insurance company and find out what repairs are covered and what their recommendations and processes are.
Mr. Duct Cleaner works with trusted, reputable plumbers and restoration companies and can recommend one in your area. Call us at 844-444-DUCT.